Saturday, May 1, 2010

It Began With A Birthday

Everybody is born with a passion in their hearts. I was born with a love for horses and everything equine. My parents surprised my friends and I with pony rides for my sixth birthday and that’s when my love became my passion. Naturally, I began begging for riding lessons, which they granted me about the time I was ten. Horseback riding quickly took over nearly every aspect of my life. Weekday afternoons were spent with riding lessons and weekends were consumed by traveling to competitions or just hanging out at the barn.

After devoting nearly my whole life thus far to being an equestrian, it’s insulting to take note of the lack of recognition that the sport receives in our society. Half of the reason is that people don’t understand all the effort equestrians put into our sport. The other half is under the impression that horseback riding consists of riding ponies around in circles while looking pretty.

Horseback riding is a different kind of sport due its unique requirements and forms of competition, but it is still a sport nonetheless. Sports consist of: skill, strength, communication, teamwork, determination, and hard work, all of which is demanded of the equestrian sport. Due to these requirements, horseback riding should be recognized more as a sport, and not as a hobby between girls and their ponies.

No comments:

Post a Comment